2012 Instructor Compensation Survey Summary is Now Available
We are pleased to announce that the fourth annual GBN Instructor Operations and Compensation Survey Summary is now available to all GBN Instructor Division members.
This survey is the most detailed data regarding full-time golf instructors' operations and compensation gathered anywhere.
The 22-page summary can be downloaded by going to the Business Templates in the Instructors menu page on the members' only website.
The following are just a few interesting facts/trends to come out of the new survey:
Download the entire report to see how you compare in nearly 100 categories.
- 80% of GBN members incorporated social media into their marketing in the past year, up from 64% a year ago.
- 56% of the members said they now teach using a launch monitor, up 7% from a two years ago.
- 47% said they now offer internet-based lessons, up 5% from last year.
- The percentage of GBN Instructors with at least one endorsement contract has risen from 38% to 59% over the past two years.
- 39% of members said they have a formal written contract, DOWN 5% from a year ago.
- 11% of members reported income from teaching touring professionals and 12% reported income from books or DVD sales.
- 50% get PGA, LPGA and/or GBN dues paid by their employer. This number has not changed over the past four years.
- Only 68% of members now offer a discounted series lesson rate, down from 78% two years ago.
- The typical GBN instructor spent $3,151 on teaching technology, $851 on training aids and $1,506 on education/seminars in 2011.
- More than two-thirds (68%) of GBN Instructors are certified club fitters.
- More than one-third (35%) of GBN Instructors are NOT prominently featured on their facility's website.
- The average member did $67,373 in private lessons in 2011 which accounted for only 51% of members' average total income.
- Earnings from corporate outings were up an average of 76% over last year, but still only accounted for less than 4% of total income.
- Earnings from golf schools dropped 11% in 2011.
- Average total income in 2011 for a GBN Instructor Division member was $132,558. This was UP 7.2% from a year ago.
The summary includes data from all teachers at all facility types who responded to the survey. If you completed the survey and would like a personalized report of just the data that matches your job description or facility type, please contact GBN's office. Personalized reports will be generated by our office after discussing your individual situation and needs with Grant Way, our Director of Membership Services. These reports are very effective when negotiating your compensation package or when analyzing a new job offer.
A big thank you to all of our members who participated in this critical survey and we look forward to having everyone participate in next year's survey.
Lorin Anderson, Instructor Division Executive Director